The beautiful summer season is here. We are eager to get out and soak up the sunshine. The sun is so important for our health and wellbeing. It instantly boosts our mood, the sun supplies our body with vitamin D (essential for biological functions and wellbeing) as well as the UV light can help with certain skin conditions. On the other hand, too much sunshine can actually accelerate the aging process.
So before running outside to absorb the rays, here are a few tips to help boost your skin and prep it for the summer months ahead.
1. SPF. Use a natural SPF. Most conventional SPF's contain harmful chemicals which are a 'no-no' for beautiful skin. #NellyDevuyst BioOrganic line contains an award winning mineral SPF that is ECO-Cert, organic, vegan and Canadian made. The SPF is appropriate for all ages (do a test patch on babies, since their skin is extra sensitive). Check out the link for more info or if you want to purchase some! https://nellydevuyst.com/product/spf-30-mineral/?ref=C14291
2. Exfoliate. Use a natural sugar scrub on your body to slough off dead skin cells and reveal radiant, healthy skin. We love #Lalicious Coffee Scrub. It moisturizes, and smooths the skin. Exfoliate before you shave for extra smooth legs. Exfoliate the legs to help boost circulation as well as detoxify (stimulate the lymphatic system), helping to smooth troublesome areas (ie: cellulite) and firm the skin. Make your own sugar scrub at home using ingredients from your kitchen!
1 cup of sugar (use finer granules as opposed to chunky)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or almond oil, jojoba, safflower seed)
1/4 cup coffee grounds
* mix together in a jar and use 1-2 times a week on the body.
3. Switch your face cream to a lighter consistency. The summer months is a good time to focus on serums or creams that are gel based (water based) to help replenish the water loss in our skin (TEWS- Trans Epidermal Water Loss). Hydration, meaning "water" (not lipids) is essential during the warmer weather as we lose water due to perspiration, being in the sun and the warmer climate. Drinking water (half our body weight in ounces) is a start but we need to externally seal this in as well. Look for products containing hyaluronic acid.
Supply your body with fresh whole foods. The summer months is a time to focus more on raw foods. According
to ancient Ayurvedic theories, summer is the time when our PITA (fiery dosha) is at its peak, meaning we need to reach for "cooling foods". This is why we crave juicy foods during the warm months.
* Eat the rainbow- reach for vegetables and fruits that contain red, orange, yellow, green, purple, blue. Each color contains different phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and other nutritional properties that biologically benefit our bodies that in turn give us gorgeous glowing skin. (see! you can make friends with salad)
* Eat lean animal proteins or clean sources of plant based proteins throughout the day
* Don't want to chew veggies and fruits all day? Make a delicious juice or smoothie for an easy to digest nutritional boost.
5. Give yourself an 8 minute facial once a week. Do an enzyme based gommage once a week to slough off dead skin and build up as well as smooth the skin (sometimes during the summer our skin can become asphyxiated leaving it look congested and uneven). We recommend #Nelly Devuyst BioScience 3 minute gommage (https://nellydevuyst.com/product/3-minute-gommage-exfoliating-cream/?ref=C14291 )
Follow the scrub with a 5 minute mask of your choice. You can use a hydro jelly mask, firming mask or a clay based mask. Whatever you choose leave it on for 5 minutes and close your eye. Relax and take a few minutes to yourself to just be.
We love #HydroJelly masks. (Check out our Facebook page to purchase one!)
These 5 tips will give you just the perfect skin boost so you can enjoy that summer glow all summer as well as feel gorgeous, inside and out!